Patricia's Reviews > Tiny Homes: Simple Shelter

Tiny Homes by Lloyd Kahn

F_50x66
Feb 11, 12

Read in February, 2012

I want to take a road trip to see the wonderful, whimsical, and occasionally weird houses Lloyd Kahn profiles profiled in this fun and inspirational book. Then I want to build one or two or six. (Although I suspect that building six tiny homes defeats Kahn’s purpose, which is to show us how to live large by building small. ) Kahn features more than 150 builders who construct amazing wee spaces—under 500 square feet—from straw bales; recycled tin, boards, and bricks, adobe, sticks and logs; prefab backyard sheds; and, basically, whatever.

The book is a wild barrage of color photos, illustrations, and house plans of mountain retreats, offices, potting sheds, treehouses, mobile homes, and just about anything imaginable. The styles range from Victorian to contemporary to sort of crazy. But all are intriguing. Kahn lets the homeowners tell their own stories, which makes this a fun and personable read in addition to being an excellent thumb-through.

Some of the builders featured in this book specialize in selling small structures; others built their homes just for themselves. Many were inspired by Kahn’s 1973 book, Shelter, and by the Whole Earth Catalog, where Kahn was the shelter editor.

So, if you have been dreaming of a tiny retreat in the backwoods or the backyard, check out Tiny Homes. You’ll find yourself coming back to it for ideas, and for just plain fun. And let me know if you’re interested in that road trip.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tiny Homes.