Kemper's Reviews > American Vampire, Vol. 2

American Vampire, Vol. 2 by Scott Snyder

Feb 12, 2012

bookshelves: 2012, comics, horror, vampires

About a hundred people died while building Hoover Dam. After reading this, I have to assume that all of those deaths were due to vampire attacks.

Picking up several years after the last volume, it’s 1935 and a formerly sleepy Nevada town called Las Vegas is booming because of the thousands of workers in the area constructing Hoover Dam. Police chief Cash Morgan doesn’t like what the gambling and prostitution are doing to his city, but there isn’t much he can do to stop it. When a businessman connected to the dam is sucked dry of all of his blood, Cash finds a link to a pimp called Jim Smoke that he blames for the murder of his father, but Smoke is actually the brutal vampire named Skinner Sweet.

Once again Snyder has delivered a fun and nasty twist on the vampire genre with American history as it’s backdrop. One of the ideas I really like in this series is that there are different species of vamps with varying strengths and weaknesses. Skinner Sweet was the first of a new breed who is at war with the older vampire factions as well as the humans hunting them, but Skinner is not some sparkly emo type or some brooding angst filled anti-hero. Skinner is a monster who is devious, brutal and utterly without remorse.

We learn the fates of others who had the bad luck to cross his path in the last volume as well as watching what happens to Cash and others when they get mixed up in vampire feuds.
19 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read American Vampire, Vol. 2.

message 1: by Stephen (new)

Stephen No way...more Vegas. I love it. You should float your review of Last Call and it could be a Vegas GR weekend...sans free drinks, which is a bit of a downer.

message 2: by Kemper (last edited Feb 12, 2012 11:21AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kemper A buddy gave me a bottle of bourbon for my birthday so I could crack that open and get my free drinking done. I'm thinking about watching Ocean's 11 just to keep the vibe going..

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

I wondered if Synder would carry on Sweet's awesome attitude w/o Uncle Stevie....I thought he did a fabulous job. I enjoyed volume 2 just as much as one, and I'm about to crack open 3 which also looks like it's going to be amazing. Great review!

message 4: by Stephen (new)

Stephen Kemper wrote: "A buddy gave me a bottle of bourbon for my birthday so I could crack that open and get my free drinking done. I'm thinking about watching Ocean's 11 just to keep the vibe going.."

message 5: by Kemper (last edited Feb 12, 2012 08:06PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kemper Stephen wrote: "
It's almost like you're visiting. To complete the picture, go ahead and put some money in the shredder (not all of it, just a little bit more than you feel comfortable parting with). Then, while the money is going into the shredder think to yourself that it might come out the other side as even MORE money."

message 6: by Chloe (new)

Chloe LOL, Stephen. That's a far less painful way to deal with gambling than actually bleeding it into a casino. A shredder won't come and break your legs for the VIG.

message 7: by Stephen (new)

Stephen Kemper wrote: "I filled up a flask with whiskey and went out on the street and dealt some three card monte to the neighborhood kids to get in a Vegas mood. Oddly, some parents seemed irritated..."

Why, were you over charging on the whiskey?

message 8: by Stephen (new)

Stephen Logan wrote: "LOL, Stephen. That's a far less painful way to deal with gambling than actually bleeding it into a casino. A shredder won't come and break your legs for the VIG."

There's certainly a reason why the printing presses casinos turn a profit.

Kemper Stephen wrote: "Why, were you over charging on the whiskey?"

Buncha prudes here in Kansas.

Ronyell Great review Kemper!!! I really loved this volume too!

Kemper Ronyell wrote: "Great review Kemper!!! I really loved this volume too!"

Thanks! It's a humdinger.

Ronyell Kemper wrote: "Ronyell wrote: "Great review Kemper!!! I really loved this volume too!"

Thanks! It's a humdinger."

Yep! Have you read the third volume yet?

Kemper Ronyell wrote: "Yep! Have you read the third volume yet?"

Yeah, I've read 3 & 4. It just keeps getting better as it goes along.

Ronyell Kemper wrote: "Ronyell wrote: "Yep! Have you read the third volume yet?"

Yeah, I've read 3 & 4. It just keeps getting better as it goes along."

That's great! I really got to pick up the rest of this series!

message 15: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Peto Stephen King let him try it on his own?

message 16: by Kemper (last edited Jul 29, 2013 07:19AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kemper Jonathan wrote: "Stephen King let him try it on his own?"

Yeah, after inviting himself to the party, Uncle Steve bowed out and let Snyder write the thing he created all by himself. Which was nice of him.

message 17: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Peto King's sons probably bring it up every Christmas. Sometimes they're mad, sometimes glad.