Laura's Reviews > A Boy Named FDR: How Franklin D. Roosevelt Grew Up to Change America

A Boy Named FDR by Kathleen Krull

1351942
Feb 11, 12

bookshelves: 2012, biography, children-s, nonfiction, picture
Read in February, 2012

Krull tells about FDR's child and young adult life in a story that many students will be able to connect with. She describes his privileged childhood, years as a student and early career. FDR, though raised as a wealthy gentleman, was exposed to individuals from all walks of life and developed a true compassion for those (pretty much everyone else) less fortunate. I liked that this story about a 'boy' extends far enough to actually be a useful research resource for elementary school students. The narrative text is also interesting enough to be used as a nonfiction read aloud with students.

My beef, however, is that so many biographies written about a person's early life skip important information or details. I wish that historical context had been provide beyond just the election of several presidents. I also wish that Krull had included more information about polio and FDR's recuperation.

Recommended for grades 4 - 6, especially students working on biography research projects.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Boy Named FDR.