Jenny Brown's Reviews > Sex on Six Legs: Lessons on Life, Love, and Language from the Insect World

Sex on Six Legs by Marlene Zuk

Feb 13, 12

Read on February 11, 2012

This was a very unsatisfying book because it promised much more than it delivered. The main point the author made, which was over stressed was that insects have evolved behaviors like humans and other mammals though obviously through different mechanisms. Okay. But the rest of the book is just snippet after snippet of insect behavior trotted out and then forgotten. And quite often I completely lost her when she was describing other people's research. I read a lot of research and a lot of descriptions of research in the course of an average day and rarely find myself confused, so I think the problem was with the author's descriptions.

She also is not anywhere near as funny as she thinks she is, and I burnt out on the many attempts at humor after a while.

I'd really like to learn more about the social insects in particular and yes, about sex in insects, which, despite the fabulous book title was barely discussed.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sex on Six Legs.

message 1: by Oldroses (new) - added it

Oldroses I completely agree. I couldn't finish this book which is rare for me. Normally I can slog through anything but this was just too boring and disjointed.