Robert's Reviews > Sylvester and the Magic Pebble

Sylvester and the Magic Pebble by William Steig

Feb 11, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: caldecott-medal, personification, fiction, sequence, public-library, 3-8, magic
Recommended to Robert by: Pro Teacher
Read on February 11, 2012 , read count: 1

This book was recommended to me to use with teaching students how to sequence. My children and I drove out to our county library to pick this up. Interestingly, the Philadelphia Zoo was setting up shop so we stayed to see the animals! :)

Times have changed since this book was written. It's an okay story . . . just a bit simple for my tastes. I do like the suggestion I received to provide each student with a red pebble. I like that kind of a takeaway.

A donkey is fond of collecting pebbles and rocks. He finds a splendid red one. As he holds it, he wishes it would stop raining. Sure enough it does. His magic pebble is wonderful.

Unfortunately, the donkey runs into a bit of trouble. Rather than using his new-found magic logically, he makes a rookie mistake with wishes that causes him to be turned into a rock. Yet, his pebble is beside him totally useless. The donkeys family is obviously distraught.

Eventually, after seasons have passed, a happy ending is had.

While the illustrations are not bad, they certainly did not wow me. As a Caldecott Award-winning book, I would have thought they would be more stunning.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sylvester and the Magic Pebble.