Christina's Reviews > Bitten

bookshelves: fantasy, werewolves, 2008-reads, 2012-reads
Recommended to Christina by: Kaylan
Recommended for: Clare, Katharine
Read in July, 2008, read count: 3

You know when you don't really expect to like a book based on the fact that you're prejudiced to its contents? For example, thanks to Twilight, I am completely Team Vampire (and I'm terribly ashamed at having brought Twilight up, trust me) so anything Werewolf-ish automatically sets off some inner resentment. Knowing this book was about werewolves just made me go 'blegh!' but I was suddenly determined to give it a chance, and so I did.

Oh. My. God. FANTASTIC. I was utterly absorbed by this book from the first page, completely mesmerised by the characters playing out on the pages before me. I was mentally crying as I neared the final page, torn between needing to finish and wanting it to last forever and ever.

This book is thrilling, entertaining, hilarious (it had me in hysterics!), steamy, sexy, tragic... it's honestly just a rollercoaster of adjectives. Elena is the most amusing narrator I've come across in a long time, whether she means to be or not. She is truly a unique voice and I wished that Armstrong had continued the series from Elena's point of view because I'm IN LOVE with her. Really, even when I wanted to strangle her for stupidity, I loved her. I could say that about Clay, too (GOD, I loved Clay, even when I hated him). These are those rare types of characters you never want to let go once you've found them.

Honestly, I could ramble for ages but I'm trying to contain myself. Trust me, if you have any doubts about reading this, just push past them and give this book a go. You can't go wrong.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bitten.

02/06/2012 page 14
3.0% "starting again!"
02/13/2012 page 182
41.0% ""We've played this game before. I hide. you never seek. I'm a bit slow on the uptake, but I'm beginning to sense a pattern.""
02/13/2012 page 182
show 1 hidden update…

Comments (showing 1-9)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

Casee Shockley-Wroten ha! i'm the same way with this book...and the series....and the author..lol =)

message 8: by Betty (new)

Betty Wright Haha when you mentioned your a twihard I fell in love with your review.enough said.team Edward! (she whispers)

So, I Read This Book Today AHH - so RAPE IS OK WITH YOU? Sicko.

Angie I read this book when it first came out about 11years ago, and I to loved the way kelley armstrong writes her werewolves. Her other wolf books are just as good. I don't know if you've read them so I'll not say anything to spoil the surprises. I'm really looking forward to the tv show as well.I loved clay and was very curious about his back story, then men of the other world was brought out and it was fantastic. I'd really recommend you looking it up if you haven't already.

message 5: by Merry (new) - added it

Merry Blake Omg. I'm totally suspicious of werewolf anything.

I mainly bought this cause it was $3.50 and looked like an addictive read. I'm most pleasantly surprised by the positive reviews and cannot wait to get stuck into it! :)

Angie Well The Men of the Otherworld book is all about how Clay was found as Child of about 6years old, living as a bitten werewolf so already turning wolf. The hereditary wolves don't turn till 17 or so.It tells you all about Jeremy as well.I've just checked on Amazon and you could pick up a second hand copy for 1penny then postage on top. I've read my copy lots and can totally recommend it.

message 3: by Juliette (new)

Juliette Your review made me smile, because one of my favorite things in life is that ride when you truly love a character that is so flawed you get so attached that you truly feel frustrated with them, you mourne with them and crack up when they do funny things that are just so them. I have been there, and I am not ashamed to say there will always be a soft place in my heart for twilight, even if they do sparkle!

Angie But the twilight vamps, ok they sparkle:D, I can just laugh a bit at that. All vampires are slightly different so what the hell, they sparkle. But what got to me was they don't have FANGS!!! Why not? Not even retractable ones that pop out! All vampires have fangs, they need them!

Kathleen Totally felt the same way. I actually asked a lady in Chapters what to recommend me for a good Vampire novel that wasn't too YA. She didn't have a suggestion, but offered this book. I was kind of resistant due to it being about werewolves (like you) but I'm also glad I picked it up :)