Halfino Berry's Reviews > And Then There Were None

Nov 17, 11

bookshelves: mystery
Recommended for: mystery lovers
Read in January, 1985

I read it many years ago, during my junior high (or before?), loved it, and consider it as one of Christie's best writing.

You won't find Poirot or Miss Marple in it, but as her other books are usually related to some popular rhymes, this one is related with '10 Little Indians' (which is the other title for this book).

Alternately, you will have these ten people with the dark past isolated in an island. One by one, each of them were killed. You may guess who the killer was while turning page over page, but I can guarantee that you'll never know! You may read it so careful .... and then there were none. So, whodunnit?

I shouldn't tell it more, because this book is a one time reading; once you learn the twist, you'll agree that nothing like the first reading. you may want to read it again, but it wouldn't have the same feeling of surprise. you can say the same thing to Fight Club, The Usual Suspect, or The Sixth Sense.

So, if you are fond of mystery and never read this, you should dig it soon.

============================

Moral: be careful with your past, or better, be careful with what you sow today, because it will be your harvest in the future.
47 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read And Then There Were None.

message 1: by Kate (new)

Kate i had to read this this year for 7th grade. it gave me nightmares, but i couldn't put it down! it was incredible!

message 2: by J.P. (new)

J.P. Choquette I like the moral you added. This is one that I read years ago and have just downloaded to enjoy again. Luckily, my memory is not so good that I remember who dunnit--so it will be like reading it fresh!

Ulises Thanks for the review. It encouraged me to read it.

Ulises Also, thanks for the book recommendations

Wyatt Thompson I got the same feeling about this book, this was one of Christi's books. I felt like the suspect was almost too obvious that you still didn't see it coming. The way Christie set the mood in the book you could expect the storm and the loss of power to trap the guests on the island. Murphy's law was on the side of the killer. After reading I wonder if there was a way for any of the guests to break the rhyme and catch the killer. They did see the Rhyme, why not try to follow it and avoid all of the clues in it? I also thought it was like The Sixth Sense, you almost could say the ending, but you needed to know who did it. Overall this was a great book and i too recommend it.

Rayland Mcintyre Multiple times throughout the book I was trying my absolute best to find the killer. When I thought I had a lead, that person was soon murdered. I truly had no idea who it was until there were none. I tried reading it a second time, but each word I read I was saying to myself: "I know the killer, I can't be fooled again". So I agree with you because the second time doesn't have the same feel as the first. I enjoyed your moral, but I think it could be judgment can kill you. The most suspenseful parts of the book was when someone was unexpectedly killed.

Huajun Li I found it interesting the first but I'm definitely not going to read it twice. I agree with you.