Elise Marion's Reviews > Back to You

Back to You by Natalie-Nicole Bates

Feb 13, 12

Read from February 11 to 13, 2012

Back to You is a quick read that I felt would be good for a rainy day or a cozy weekend at home.

This book had a lot of potential. Unfortunately, for me, it fell short of what it could have been. I liked the idea of the two main characters meeting up again after 20 years, and both still carry a flame for the other. There was just not enough for me to really get into it like I wanted to.

I'll start with what I didn't like:

1. Lynsey didn't seem to have much depth as a character. She was in love with Nick when she was 16, he broke her heart, she left their small town, became a success, and came back to search for a husband. To me, since this is not a historical, her desperation to find a husband within the year seemed baseless. There was never any explanation as to why she felt like she just had to get married right now.

2. Nick and Lynsey's relationship begins when she is 16 and he is 20....it just seemed kind of creepy that she is a teen and he a grown man....in most places you can go to jail for that. It wouldn't have been so bad if Nick hadn't been so self-righteous about another man (24 year old) trying to get with her. Who was he to be so indignant when he was just as wrong as the other guy for even messing with a high school kid.

3. There is not enough interaction or development between Nick and Lynsey. She spends most of her time looking for a husband. SO there's more interaction between her and other guys than there is her and Nick. I would have liked to see more between the two of them.

Now for the things I did like:

1. The dialogue in this book is refreshing. It's realistic and interesting; by far the best aspect of the book. You learn a lot about the characters through their conversations.

2. The main characters are not 20-somethings. I don't come across a lot of romances starring 40-somethings, and I found the idea of a second-chance romance appealing.

3.I liked the fact that this book took place in a small town where people never leave and those that do always come back...it reminded me much of my upbringing and the fact that I still live in the town where I grew up!

Overall, this book was just okay for me, not bad but not all that great. I feel that if we'd been given more insight into Nick and Lynsey's past, this could have been a whole lot more interesting. There is one flashback scene between Nick, Lynsey, and Caleb (the 24-year old) that, to me, was the best part of the book. I think more of this, combined with more interaction between Nick and Lynsey would have made this a far better read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Back to You.