Judy's Reviews > Never Have Your Dog Stuffed: And Other Things I've Learned

Never Have Your Dog Stuffed by Alan Alda

May 03, 2015

bookshelves: audiobooks, biography-autobiography-memoir, my-2015-books, non-fiction
Recommended for: anyone who enjoys this actor
Read from April 22 to May 01, 2015 , read count: 1

I've always loved Alan Alda as an actor. This book makes be love the man he is just as much. On film his sincerety humanity shine through. The book also shows his insecurities, joys, and integrity. He had a pretty tough and unusual childhood. His experiences teach him many lessons. His mother is mentally ill, and his father is a good man but always on the road performing. Alda learns that he loves to makes people laugh and especially loves improvisation. He loves books and learning. He learns that life in uncertain but that uncertainties be most interesting and transformative. He shares the beautiful relationship with his wife and the joys of family life. I enjoyed his descriptions of his days on the set of MASH. He's really not like the womanizing, wise-cracking Hawkeye. His unsureness as he approaches this role is endearing. He goes on after MASH to host a Scientific American science show that highlights his insatiable curiousity about the world and the universe. The honesty of this autobiography makes it so worth reading. I recommend the audio version as it is read by the author and is such a pleasure to listen to.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Never Have Your Dog Stuffed.

message 1: by Rosie (new)

Rosie Have you seen him the the movie "The Four Seasons"? I always imagined that character might be closer to who Alan Alda is in life.