Christopher Sears's Reviews > The Paleo Diet Revised: Lose Weight and Get Healthy by Eating the Foods You Were Designed to Eat

The Paleo Diet Revised by Loren Cordain

Feb 11, 12

bookshelves: borrowed-from-mc-public-library, nonfiction
Read in March, 2011, read count: 1

The Paleo Diet outlines Dr. Loren Cordain's view of an optimal diet. The Paleo Diet is a low carbohydrate diet which focuses on eating lean meats, fruits and vegetables, and some nuts. The foods that are not allowed on the diet are legumes and beans, grains, and dairy. The reasoning behind the diet is that human evolution has not caught up with the agricultural revolution. Thus, people should eat like hunter/gatherers for optimal nutrition.

I tried the diet last summer. I managed to lose 30 pounds. It works well over the short term, but does not work well in the long term. I was able to keep with it for four months, but I fell out of the diet when on a two week car trip. The diet makes it almost impossible to eat outside of your own home.

I was able to lose around one pound per day on the diet. Any time you eat a small amount of grains, you weight will shoot up a pound or two over night, and it would take two days to resume loosing weight. I would recommend a balanced approach to weight loss.

The book is well written. There is quite a bit of filler, but there is still plenty of information to digest. The diet itself is laid out very clearly.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Paleo Diet Revised.