Bakari's Reviews > 140 Characters: A Style Guide for the Short Form

140 Characters by Dom Sagolla

May 13, 12

bookshelves: 2012-books-read, computer-technology, kindle, writing, kindle-lending
Read in February, 2012

Much better than I thought it would be. Finally a book that is not about using Twitter as a business marketing tool, but rather as a voice and a literary art form.

In some parts of his book Dom is on fire. "140 Characters" reads like a manifesto. While at other times he sounds too preachy--too many do's and don't's.

The best of the book is when he shows why Twitter works, and how it fits in the larger context of things.

I started this year taking my Twitter stream more seriously. I used Twournal to publish my first collection of Tweets, from 2010-2011. And now after reading "140 Characters", I'm thinking about the many ways I will change how I use Twitter as I write my second book of tweets.

For me, using Twitter is not so much about followers, but more about documenting what's going in my life and what I think about the world I'm living in. Thankfully I have nothing to sell, or some blog I need to grow readership. I just exist in a community, and am looking for people who have something meaningful to say. This is why I found "140 Characters" useful to read. Thanks, Dom, for writing it.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read 140 Characters.