Adrienna's Reviews > The Obamas

The Obamas by Jodi Kantor

Mar 04, 12

bookshelves: audio-cd, borrowed-book, leadership, nonfiction, politics-government
Read from February 11 to 27, 2012

Saw an article on this from Black America and wanted to review this material. Listening to Introduction on audio, what caught my full attention, is "Michelle Obama doesn't believe that politics will solve real problems" and "Barack Obama does have an astonishing faith that he can solve these real problems." (CD 1).

The author wants to tap into Michelle's viewpoints, views on political figures in the White House, and her real thoughts on being First Lady, as the President's Wife, personally and politically. The reader of the audio, has a great speaking voice and able to obtain the information impeccably.

You do get behind-the-scenes of the Obama's and tap into Michelle's family, relationships, and life early before marriage to Barack. I was glad to hear and learn more about them besides reading Obama's two memoirs before he became president (read them in 2007). However, when a reporter, article writer, or anyone else aside from the actual person to write a memoir, there will always be speculation, opinions, and symbolism will be given by the author (writer). Yet, for some reason, I was able to gain some insight about the Obama's as a whole.

As I further listened to the audio CDs, it seems like Jodi Kantor (author) primarily focused on Michelle Obama such as her feelings/emotions behind all decisions and outcomes of the White House and presidency, when this is a book on the Obama's. We hear some views on President Obama; his political standpoints and outcomes as President, as well as being the Black politician in a predominate White (Caucasian) predecessors and how the White House was built on the backbone of the sweat and blood of the African slaves (which she highlighted in early chapter about how some previous presidents had slaves and where they resided). Kantor also highlights political spectaculars, spending, vacations, and other events that were not mentioned in the tabloids or news reports--concerned about the spending and using other accounts not to come out of the U.S. funding to avoid guilt of the jobless economy.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Obamas.