g-na's Reviews > The Face on Your Plate: The Truth About Food

The Face on Your Plate by Jeffrey Moussaieff Masson

Feb 11, 12

bookshelves: food-and-nutrition

Well, I suppose this book does live up to its title as it gives you the truth about what animals go through in order to be the food on your plate, but it doesn't do it well. The author is a militant vegan and his writing is biased thusly. Don't get me wrong - I'm a vegetarian who tries to be as ethical as possible about my animal-based food choices, but after reading this I get the feeling that he won't let up until everyone else is vegan as well, which just isn't going to happen. He anthropomorphizes animals to the point of ascribing feelings to them, such as claiming a pig, whose tail has been cut off, will continue to feel phantom tail pain. How does he know? The pig didn't tell him, and there were no references proving such. His "data" is poor, in one chapter saying mice and humans share 97.5% of their DNA, and in another stating it is 90%. Masson also claims, "Vegans don't have to worry about high cholesterol," which is incorrect. Oh, and his writing is crap as well, with awkward paragraph structures that can, at times, be confusing. To be honest, I only read about half the book and just paged through the rest. Even though I agreed with the sentiment I couldn't take it anymore. Save your time and money for one of the better-written, less biased, more accurate books out there.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Face on Your Plate.