Raghav's Reviews > Old Yeller

Old Yeller by Fred Gipson

Feb 11, 2012

it was ok
Read in February, 2012

For my February book I read Old Yeller by Fred Gibson. The title has the word "yeller" in it, a word that many people with southern dialect, use to say "yellow", this word could also be in the title to describe the way that our titular character Old Yeller howls, instead of the normal "woof" sound, it sounds more like yelling.
The story revolves around Travis Coates, a boy who is left in charge of his fathers cattle ranch while his father is making cattle drive in the 1860's. When a yellow dog starts roaming around the family territory, Travis adopts him reluctantly. Travis holds a strong dislike for the dog, but over time begins to change his opinion on Yeller after they spend time together.Travis soon loves Old Yeller and they become inseparable. That's all I say without revealing any spoilers, but trust me the story takes a very interesting and dark turn. This led to a very dark ending to the book, which in its defense was unexpected and well written. However the first 30% of the book was quite boring, it introduced the characters, the setting, and build the foundation for the plot, but did'nt have much action or anything interesting going on.
Generally people who like westerns or historical fiction will enjoy this book greatly. I however really did not. I give the book 2/5 stars, becuase even though it was well written and that the ending was certainly unexpected and dark, something very different most books I've read but there were lots of parts where I had to force myself to read the book to figure where is the story going? It took a while to get interesting but it actually wasn't too once they story got going.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Old Yeller.