Julia Mills's Reviews > Chasing Lincoln's Killer

Chasing Lincoln's Killer by James L. Swanson

Feb 16, 2012

This story is about how President Abraham Lincoln was assassinated. In this story, it tells how John Wilkes Booth was planning on killing him. A few years before the death of Abraham Lincoln, John Wilkes Booth and some other people were planning on kidnapping the President. Well, that never happened. One day when the President was at the theater, John Wilkes Booth found out about it and thought he could kill him there, during a loud part of the play. While the President and his wife and friends were in the box, John Wilkes Booth walked into the box where the President was. John Wilkes knew the play very well and he had planned for the right moment to kill the President. He shot the President in the head, right below his ear. Many people heard the gunshot, also many say that they saw John Wilkes Booth. Well that’s all true. John Wilkes Booth had been planning this for a while. The main characters in this book were George Atzerodt, Colonel Lafayette Baker, Luther Baker, John Wilkes Booth, Colonel Everton Conger, and Captain Samuel Cox. Most of them were helping plan to kill Abraham Lincoln, but a few were just there at the time helping protect the President. The main characters ran into some problems in the book. Some were injured and some just chickened out of killing others, who they were assigned to kill, because they were afraid of getting captured. In the book, I have to say that John Wilkes Booth was my favorite character. He was smart, brave, and good at planning. Even though he killed the President, he still felt guilty about it. He didn’t want to die, because he killed the President, but he didn’t like what the President had to say and stood for.
I can relate to some of the characters. I relate most to Booth, except for the part that he killed the President and had been planning on it for a long time. People would tell Booth that his plan was not good and they made fun of things about him, like his mustache. I know how that feels, because my friends tell me that some of my ideas are stupid and they tell me that I am ugly sometimes. There are also some other characters that I can relate to. I have done some of the things that the other characters did, like I try to listen to my friends and try not to judge them. I also help them with some of their problems.
I really liked this book. I could hardly put it down. My favorite part of the book was when it was time to perform the assassination. I wanted to see if the plan would go down just like it was planned, and see if it worked. Another thing that I really liked about this book was that it did not have any boring parts. I did have a least favorite part of the book. That part is when they would always explain how the doctors touched Abraham Lincoln’s brain. Some parts of the brain had fallen out and they were different colors. I thought that this part of the book was really disturbing. If I could change the ending , I would have Booth riding over a hill, into a faraway country, where he could be safe. Even though he killed the President, I believe that he still had a good heart.
I would recommend this book to anyone, but they better not start it unless they have a lot of spare time, because they will not be able to put it down. You need to be a person that likes to read about people’s real lives, because this book is about real people and their lives. You will also like this book if you like action, because this story is very full of action. I started reading this book, because Ms. Dale said it was a great book. At first, this book sounded kind of stupid to me, but I ended up loving it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Chasing Lincoln's Killer.

message 1: by Tanner (new)

Tanner Parker This sounds like a good story. That part with the brain sounds grose.

Julia Mills yeah it is!!!!!!!!!!!!!!I had a hard time reading that part!