Mark Uncommon Valor's Reviews > Prayer: Does It Make Any Difference?

Prayer by Philip Yancey

M 50x66
Aug 06, 2008

bookshelves: prayer

Etty Hillesum, the young Jewish girl who kept a journal during her stay at Auschwitz, wrote of an "uninterrupted dialogue" with God. She had epiphanies even in that morally barren place. "Sometimes when I stand in some corner of the camp, my feet on Your earth, my eyes raised towards Your Heaven, tears sometimes run down my face, tears of deep emotion and gratitude." She knew the horror. "And I want to be there right in the thick of what people call horror and still be able to say:life is beautiful. Yes, I lie here in a corner, parched and dizzy and feverish and unable to do a thing. Yet I am also with the jasmine and the piece of sky beyond my window."

Hillesum concluded, "For once you have begun walking with God and all of life becomes one long stroll- a marvelous feeling." I read her words of defiant faith and wonder what I might have written in my journal as I breathed in ashes from the ovens each day, burnt offerings of a race "chosen" by Hitler. Yes, walking with God makes life one long stroll- but for how many, and how often is it a marvelous feeling ?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Prayer.