Kirsti's Reviews > Listening Is an Act of Love: A Celebration of American Life from the StoryCorps Project

Listening Is an Act of Love by Dave Isay

Feb 11, 12

bookshelves: anger, biography, essays, history, humor, language, journalism, imagination, memoir, nonfiction, oral-history, philosophy
Read in February, 2012

Incredible stories of love, death, romance, heartbreak, baseball, steelmaking, rotten mangoes, the Great Depression, segregation, the Holocaust, World War II, 9-11, Hurricane Katrina, and wet woolen mittens on a radiator.

After recording over 10,000 40-minute oral histories of ordinary and extraordinary Americans, the people at StoryCorps chose 49 excerpts and put them in a book. Here's a sample, complete with animation:

About 95 percent of participants agree to allow a copy of their interview to be stored in the Library of Congress. So someday researchers will have a window on 21st-century life. The interviews selected for this book have been fact-checked, so urban legends don't sneak in.

"These interviews remind us that, contrary to what we might infer from the media, we are not just a nation of celebrity worship and consumption but, rather, a people defined by our courage, character, and heart."

The only thing I don't like about this book is the title, which sounds kinda squishy to me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Listening Is an Act of Love.