Brianna Novaris's Reviews > Nineteen Minutes

Nineteen Minutes by Jodi Picoult

F 50x66
Feb 25, 12

Read in February, 2012, read count: 1

For the longest time, I’ve known Jodi Picoult as a terrific writing. I’ve always heard great things about her books, how she’s people’s favorite author, but at the same time I’ve known her for putting just too much detail into books- which is why I never really liked her style of writing too much…until I read 19 minutes. From the hook at the beginning, to the twist at the end, the pages basically turned themselves and I couldn’t wait to finish the book.
Right from the beginning, Picoult starts with the shooting at Sterling High School. It was an exciting start to the book that made me want to find out the story behind Peter Houghton, and what caused him to do such a crazy stunt. After the shooting, the questioning towards Peter about why he decided to shoot begins, to which he responds “They started it”. This got me asking so many questions and made me want to keep on reading to find out the story behind it all.
One of the main characters, Josie Cormier is (In her mother’s eyes) a girl who’s got everything going for her: popular, beautiful, lots of friends. But when Josie says that “We're all like Peter. Some of us do a better job of hiding it. What's the difference between spending your life trying to be invisible, or pretending to be the person you think everyone wants you to be? Either way, you're faking”, it showed that she didn’t have such a flawless life. Which sparked the question: What’s it really like to be popular? As a reader, I got to see what life is like as the bully and the bullied. And I give the author so much credit for the twist at the end, it was so unexpected!
Picoult skips back and forth between the childhood of Peter Houghton and Josie Cormier, and the weeks after “that day” [of the shooting], slowly unveiling the truth behind their lives. I loved all of the different perspectives because it’s what kept my interested. Once one part started to get boring, the point-of-view would change and I’d immediately get hooked again. 19 minutes changed my opinion on Jodi Picoult’s writing style and I would definitely reread this book, as well as read more by her.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Nineteen Minutes.

Comments (showing 1-3)

dateUp arrow    newest »

message 3: by Jenifer (new)

Jenifer Very heartfelt review. Nice job explaining it without really giving away any spoilers.

Brianna Novaris oh thanks(:

Emily Oh my goodness, the line about the pages basically turning themselves....loved it!!!!