Patrick's Reviews > X-Men: The Return

X-Men by Chris Roberson

Jul 18, 08

bookshelves: 2008

I bought this on a whim, I've never read a non-graphic text-only superhero novel before and wanted to really broaden my horizons. The author is well-versed in the lore created by Chris Claremont and wisely sets his book in the mid-80's era. The sweet cast begins with Cyclops, Wolverine, and Kitty Pryde, who are soon joined by Nightcrawler, Colossus, Rogue, Beast (pre-blue fur), Psylocke (pre-ninja body transfer), and Doug Ramsey (pre-death). (Storm was powerless at this time and I think Professor X was in outer space.) Cameos were made by other allies such as Alpha Flight, the New Mutants, the Hellions, etc. which I thought was cool, sticking in stuff just for the real nerds. The plot itself involves a group of ancient aliens returning to the Earth that they had populated(?) with humans years ago, sending their "Exemplars" (who of course, have mutant-like powers) to reclaim the planet. Our heroes split into three groups to attempt a series of missions to thwart these dastardly bastards. The point-of-view switches around to most of the characters, which I also thought was cool. All-in-all, I give it four stars and that is my book report on "X-Men: The Return." Can I go to recess now?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read X-Men.