Nate D's Reviews > Land Grid

Land Grid by M Kitchell

Feb 11, 2012

bookshelves: read-in-2012, stories, horror, new-ecriture
Read on February 10, 2012

Hypnosis, the ocean, the desert, arcane architecture, snuff film, ritual, general dread and/or malaise, strange sex, distinctive formatting. Which is to say: totally three more new M. Kitchell stories, which I'm always excited about and which totally bear out that excitement.

Story one: You told me that I had to see the hypnotist, but wouldn't say any more, so I went... Bits of Robert Aickman's "The Swords" and Thomas Ligotti's "Gas Station Carnivals", but manages to avoid predictable spooky-carnival motifs and with an excellent use of hypnotist countdown structure.

Story two: some kind of ritualized apartment interior becomes gradually drawn into new rituals directed out of a mysterious box. Far from any sort of standard story design, it's more a list of principles and guidelines and aesthetics, given strange narrative organization. Kinda hypnotic.

Story three: The most traditional of the three -- two siblings get drawn into a kind of suburban dream-underworld while staying with their aunt and uncle over the summer, a kind of classic spooky coming of age arrangement -- but still flush with specifically Kitchellian arcane significances. There are a couple good samples on line from this one.

Anyway, people, if you're interested in new, vital impulses in d.i.y. lit and aesthetics, and I know you are, you should really really be checking out M. Kitchell's awesome home-printed books and zines (if you're not already -- and I know some of you are). Some go a little abstract and poetry-chapbook-like for my tastes (though basically ignoring prose/poetry boundaries is part of his M.O., I think) but this one is an excellent starting points.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Land Grid.

Comments (showing 1-5)

dateUp arrow    newest »

Adam I second everyhing you say here. Order soon, people. Kitchell doesn't make many copies of his stuff.

Unrelated- Do you have any for-sale copies of CYCLE left, Nate?

message 4: by Nate D (last edited Feb 13, 2012 02:14PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Nate D Yeah, you're the other M reader I knew of on here. You've really got get No Colony 3. You'd probably like the Peter Markus story in there as well.

Cycle is my contribution to the second Fakeheads compilation, of which copies definitely remain, though I'm not sure how to get on direct online right now. I'll message as soon as I hear something on that.

Adam I actually have NC3 somewhere. I remember seeing the colored pages. I am (was? Is it over?) a subscriber. I'll bump it up.

Nate D oh yes, the pink pushcart bribe pages, not to be missed.

message 1: by Tuck (new)

Tuck you can read it online http://solarluxuriance.com