Kelsey's Reviews > The Miseducation of Cameron Post

The Miseducation of Cameron Post by Emily M. Danforth

Feb 13, 12

bookshelves: 30-book-challenge-2012
Read in February, 2012

The Miseducation of Cameron Post is a different book than a lot of what is out there in YA right now- and I think that's a good thing. It doesn't spoon feed a message to the reader about gay rights, which angered me at first. At one point, I just wanted to stop reading because of how close-minded and frighteningly people reacted to Cameron being gay. I wanted emily m. danforth to just flat out say it- being gay is okay, it's not a disease, and these people trying to write it off as one are evil. However, now I realize, that the book was better because she didn't do this. She makes the reader think for themselves and form their own opinion. Danforth uses symbolism, characterization, and simply the raw importance of plot events, to achieve her goal of making an impact on the reader. She's not preaching, she's telling a story.
I do want to say, however, that in my opinion, this book shouldn't be read by younger teens and readers. Not because of the sexual content in the book, not because of the drugs, or the swearing, or anything like that. It's because this book could send young, more impressionable readers the wrong idea- that we have to change who we truly are in order to be deserving or loved. Danforth isn't saying that this is the case, but she opens the reader to a world where many people believe it is the case. And for this reason, I think younger readers might misinterpret the text. Of course, you can read what you like! This is just my opinion. I don't think my 13-year-old self would have understood this book like I do now.
Anyways- I highly recommend this novel. It's not perfect- a lot of the narrative was overwritten I felt, but not all of it. Some of the times, danforth's extra detail actually really contributed to Cameron's story, especially in the beginning. However, towards the middle, I did skim a little bit. Nevertheless, this is a beautiful story. I enjoyed reading about all of the characters, and I felt like I had really been let into Cameron's head. Not to mention, I love love love the cover and the title!
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Miseducation of Cameron Post.