Lydia's Reviews > A Year in the Merde

A Year in the Merde by Stephen Clarke

Oct 07, 12

Recommended to Lydia by: a bookstore display
Recommended for: everyone, especially Francophones
Read in July, 2008

Being a Francophile, myself, I reserved this book with high hopes that it would be full of English-speaking mishaps and etiquette faux pas, as well as swelling with little-known information about French customs and cultural tidbits. This book is so much more!

We follow our English character through a world he has literally been thrust into on the spur of the moment and he has to immediately adapt to a number of things; including but not limited to, how the French conduct business, how to manage a French work day, etiquette with waiters, how to order coffee, understanding and coping with the incredible frequency of worker strikes, navigating the provocative sexual nature of French women, language barriers, and all with an hysterical clarity only understood by those who have haphazardly fumbled through the same kinds of scenarios while visiting France's lush and complicated geographical and social landscape. It is one of the funniest and brightest reads about France I've ever had the pleasure to enjoy, and if you are a true Francophile and book lover, you cannot go without reading it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Year in the Merde.