Elizabeth's Reviews > Worldshaker

Worldshaker by Richard Harland

Oct 09, 14

bookshelves: library-books
Read on February 11, 2012

A great steam-punk story to introduce people into the genre. The story was captivating, though some what predictable. My main complaints though, are the time setting, and that the ending seemed rushed.

The story is supposed to be set in the 1990's, yet the author takes every possible step to put us in a Victorian Era environment. I can't see why he didn't just set in the actual Victorian Era, it would save a lot of confusion, and a lot less effort on his part to press the Victorian aesthetic on the reader.

The story went at a great pace up until the end. At the end, it seemed that the author was hard pressed to finish the story in a certain amount of pages. To accomplish this, the author gets rather sloppy; making certain characters who were at least somewhat likable suddenly vicious and evil, and by rushing the events from the climax to the resolution at to fast a pace. It becomes rather hard to keep track of at the end because the story moves at such an advanced pace after the climax. We go from climax almost immediately to the end of the story, without the buffer of a slowed down resolution that is needed.

All in all though, not a bad book, and despite the cons, I still plan on reading the sequel.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Worldshaker.

02/11/2012 page 30