Maria's Reviews > The Hum and the Shiver

The Hum and the Shiver by Alex Bledsoe

Feb 11, 12

Starting off mysteriously with what seems a simple tale of descendants of fairies trying to blend into the Appalachian mountains without being detected as fairies, this book then delves into various themes: (1) what it means to grow up in an insular community with community expectations of one's destiny that confine and restrict a character; (2) what a "war hero" is; (3) how to reconcile coming back home and reshaping one's identity after having left a community; (4) clan/tribal identity and longevity; (5) dealing with "outsiders" who label the Tufa as "rednecks" shows how outsider conclusions may be wrong when labeling a community; (6) what it means to reclaim a heritage one does not even know exists (thru the character of Don Swayback).

Learning about their world and its strong characters kept me interested, as did the suspense of trying to figure out the foreshadowed death of one of the main characters. I enjoyed the first 90% and then the climax seemed both drawn out and rushed in places (odd pacing).

I listened to this on a trip of all-day flying & it kept my interest the entire trip.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hum and the Shiver.