Rachel Kowal's Reviews > The Kissing List

The Kissing List by Stephanie Reents

Feb 19, 12

Read from February 11 to 19, 2012

(3.5 stars)

I'll freely admit that I often lose interest with short story collections midway through, but I polished off Reents' debut over the course of a few days. Now that I'm through, I'm almost tempted to go back and re-read a few of the earlier ones since I have more of a handle on the characters now.

For a collection of loosely linked stories, they are surprisingly eclectic stylistically. One story, "None of the Above" features a number of mock multiple choice questions (the narrator writes them for a living) that interestingly advance the plot and reveal the characters. "Disquisition of Tears" is one long metaphor that told with a kind of paranormal twist (the narrator gets a surprise visit from a decapitated woman).

There were lines or ideas from time to time that I really liked.
The funny thing about being in your early twenties is that it's a lot like being any other age, except you don't know it. For a long time, you think you'll change and become a better version of yourself, but, really, you just wind up being a little more tolerant of the person you've always been from. (page 13)

Bottom line: It's a fun, quick read about young adults (mostly women), which I appreciated... but over all, I wasn't wowed.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Kissing List.