Michael's Reviews > The Gashlycrumb Tinies

Apr 14, 10

bookshelves: childrens-books, 1960s

A singsong story
by Edward Gorey
full of cheerful black and grey illustrations

each one of a kid
at the moment they did
meet a tragic and early termination.

By wolf maw and knife
they depart from this life,
by drowning, falling and decapitation

until each one is slewn
and their bodies are strewn
all about Gorey's morbid imagination.

The funniest aspect of this, I believe, is the way each picture shows the child right before the tragedy occurs. For instance, the girl about to die of poisoning is shown sitting down with her hand on her tummy, making a slightly worried face. The girl who gets impaled is shown tossing a big metal rod up in the air. And I just love the little boy that dies of ennui.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Gashlycrumb Tinies.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jacob (new)

Jacob I once had a wall calendar of this. It was pretty awesome--Neville who died of ennui (it was Neville, right?) was my favorite, too. I should've kept it, and damn the year.

Michael Neville sounds right, but it has been a while since I last read it. I've never had a Gorey calendar, but I used to have an Edward Gorey tarot deck. (Every bit as grim as you would hope...your future is full of sickness, misery, boredom and death.) The idea was better than the execution, so it was only really good for one laugh. That's why I don't have it anymore.

I would totally dig a Gashlycrumb Tinies calendar. That would be even better than my "Animals That Will Kill Yo Ass" calendar!

Ronyell Awesome review!! I loved the illustrations too!

Michael Thank you, Ronyell!

Ronyell You're welcome!