Algernon's Reviews > Moon Over Soho

Moon Over Soho by Ben Aaronovitch

Feb 17, 12

bookshelves: 2012
Read from February 11 to 17, 2012

The second book following the exploits of Police Constable Peter Grant confirms the good impression left by Rivers of London. The sarcastic yet enthusiastic young investigator is once again embroiled in investigating magical occurences that veer towards horror. The river gods from the previous novel take a back seat, and this time the focus is on the Soho promiscuous nightlife and on the jazz scene. We are treated with interesting trivia about London arhitecture, history and police procedures, delivered in Peter Grant's ironic yet loving voice.

While I think this was a fast and easy read, with lively action scenes, the plot left me a bit lukewarm - with two separate lines of investigations, one of which was pretty obvious and the other left to be resolved in a later installment.

On a side note, the author rewarded his protagonist after his unlucky pursuit of female companionship, with a shapely piece of the action here. So I got a more mature vibe from this second book, appropiately since it is dealing with Soho nightclubs. It was I believe another well executed aspect of the narrative, with Peter Grant maintaining his self effacing humor and a well balanced mix of passion, emotion and fun.

So, I will recommend the series to all fans of contemporary supernatural novels, and look forward to more of the same from the author.
3 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Moon Over Soho.

Quotes Algernon Liked

Ben Aaronovitch
“If you just warn people, they often simply ignore you. But if you ask them a question, then they have to think about it. And once they start to think about the consequences, they almost always calm down.

Unless they're drunk, of course.

Or stoned.

Or aged between fourteen and twenty-one.

Or Glaswegian.”