Sara's Reviews > The Poison Diaries

Feb 11, 2012

did not like it
bookshelves: 2012, worst-of-2012
Read on February 11, 2012

A mediocre book with a ridiculous ending that made me want to knock off any remaining stars it had left.

It started off as a three-star book, readable but unimpressive. I got to the last 100 pages and decided it was a 2-star book. I skimmed most of the way to the ridiculous end, and had it been a paper copy would have thrown it across the room. It was that bad.

The premise is interesting. A boy that can talk to plants—but this reveal isn't made until halfway through the book. We don't actually meet Weed until 40 pages in.

There's some insta-love. But being that the girl is a master gardener and he can talk to plants, I'll just raise a skeptical eyebrow. Maybe they are kindred spirits? But I never felt really compelled by the characters and plot.

After Jessamine falls ill, I really lost interest in the winding, can't-decide-where-it-wants-to-go plot.

The dream sequences when Jessamine is poisoned are especially awful. You can't tell whose talking. And it seems that different people are talking in the same paragraph, without attribution. Minus a star. And switching narration from Jessamine to Weed is not well handled.

And what Weed has to do to get the cure for Jessamine? Ugh. This is the same boy who wouldn't eat plants at the beginning of the story, and now he's....doing much worse than that? And what the father did? Minus all stars!

If this wasn't bad enough I had a $.99 kindle version with A LOT of typos. There were missing spaces, formal names lower case on one page, upper case on the next. Enough to make me think I had an uncorrected ARC, but I bought this ebook in January 2012 and it came out in July 2010. That's pretty sloppy.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Poison Diaries.