Maggie's Reviews > The Murder of Bindy MacKenzie

4222084
Feb 26, 12

bookshelves: 2012, aussie-aussie-aussie-oi-oi-oi, aussie-2012, reviewed
Read from February 12 to 25, 2012

My best friend's mom is a doctor and one of the most patient, compassionate people I've ever met in my life. Whenever I hear about the latest disease, I immediately call her with my deadly symptoms. Now this same woman, after five minutes of watching Lea Michele in Glee, will ask, "What is that bitch doing now?" Lea Michele's character is just one of those people -- she can make people who have devoted their entire lives to helping others want to commit murder.

Now imagine reading 491 pages of Lea Michele's diary.

The first 150 pages, as you may have seen from my SOS masquerading as status updates, were excruciating.

But it's Jaclyn Moriarty!, I thought. I loved the first two books in the Ashbury series. (If you haven't read Feeling Sorry for Celia and The Year of Secret Assignments, I highly recommend them.) Surely this one is going to pick up. And it did -- after 200 pages that took me nearly two weeks to get through.

And the thing is, I ended up liking Bindy. I loved her sense of humor. In her Reflections on Glandular Fever (street name: mono) on page 222, she writes:
As for glandular fever, I don't believe in it. I don't think it exists. It's one of those "teenage" ailments that students invent to get themselves extra study time. I have no respect for it.
What I didn't like was the minutiae of her life carefully transcribed on the 200 pages prior. Sure, a lot of what Bindy wrote came into play later, but this isn't a Megan Whalen Turner book here, where every word and choice has meaning. I thought a lot of the first half could be cut. I didn't really start enjoying the novel until page 225, when the gang from The Year of Secret Assignments was mentioned, and then the story went full speed from there. I'll still read The Ghosts of Ashbury High... eventually... but I'm a bit hesitant after Bindy.

Final verdict: 3 stars -- 2 stars for the first half and 4 stars for the second half.

Full disclosure: I've only watched two episodes of Glee, both times against my will. In fairness to Lea Michele, I thought everyone was annoying.

This review was originally posted on Young Adult Anonymous.
8 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Murder of Bindy MacKenzie.

02/12/2012 page 55
11.0% "This one hasn't grabbed my interest right away like the first two..."
02/12/2012 page 99
20.0% "Fell asleep while reading this despite a) an iced venti americano + two cups of coffee, and b) it being the middle. of. the. day. Where are Charlie and Seb?!" 3 comments
02/16/2012 page 116
24.0% "This book is excruciating... :/"
02/24/2012 page 138
28.0% "Okay, Bindy is an asshole."

Mands I missed some of the characters from Finding Cassie Crazy as well, Charlie and Seb are great guys :)

Maggie I'm waiting for this one to get better...

Mands It does towards the end, imo! I didn't see the twist coming but maybe I'm just not that perceptive!

Chachic Sure, a lot of what Bindy wrote came into play later, but this isn't a Megan Whalen Turner book here, where every word and choice has meaning. -> Love this party! Yeah, the first half of this book was really slow but it did pick up towards the end.

message 5: by Carla (new) - added it