Kate's Reviews > Mysteries of the Middle Ages: The Rise of Feminism, Science and Art from the Cults of Catholic Europe

Mysteries of the Middle Ages by Thomas Cahill

F 50x66
Feb 11, 12

Read in February, 2012

I listened to this book and enjoyed it. I really enjoyed liked hearing about St. Francis of Assisi and I recalled visiting there with my mom. I enjoyed hearing about the rise of some of the artists and monarchs of that time. I like his writing style and he adds humor and some punchy comments to the way people lived. The copyright of the book is 2006, so its fairly recent. In the end, he wraps it all up and tries to relate the middle ages to our current time. In so doing, he gets a few digs in against Geo. Bush. The book ends in this diatribe about the Catholic Church and the pedophelia scandal. I think his thoughts and sentiments are fairly accurate but really, if I want to hear that I can go read the New York times from 2002 when the scandal broke, right up to the present time. I don't think that a book on the middle ages should end with a scathing review and rebuke of the current status of Catholic Church and George Bush.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mysteries of the Middle Ages.