CarolineFromConcord's Reviews > A Pigeon and a Boy

A Pigeon and a Boy by Meir Shalev

1977854
Feb 11, 12

Read in February, 2012

My sister suggested this book to me and I liked it. But it's a good example of why I never recommend a book until I have finished the last page. I didn't like or understand the ending, although I appreciated that the author tied up the loose threads of all the characters in true Dickensian fashion.

The book is about the meaning of home to homing pigeons, people, and Israel. It is full of fascinating details about the use of homing pigeons, especially in the war against the British that led to the founding of Israel, and the characters are strong. You know in the first few pages that something bad will happen to one of the characters, but it is only as you approach the bad thing that you slow down and drag out your reading, because now you know the character and you can't face what is going to happen. But when it does happen, the author has a surprise that is positive. He likes surprises, and he keeps setting up surprises until the end.

I did want a happier ending, at least for *someone,* but I think I would have been OK with the ending if I understood why Yair, the central character, feels as he does about pigeons. That aspect was a little depressing.

The few fantasy elements made perfect sense to me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Pigeon and a Boy.