Jen's Reviews > ... And Now Miguel

... And Now Miguel by Joseph Krumgold

Mar 06, 12

bookshelves: newbery, kids
Read from February 11 to 29, 2012

Being the main character, the boy Miguel needed to be likeable or, at the very least, understandable. The best that can be said about his voice is that Krumgold probably intended his roundabout thoughts to be endearing.

They were not.

Summary of the plot: Miguel is the 12-year-old son of a shepherd who longs to be allowed to journey with the rest of the men into the mountains of the Sangre do Cristo range in New Mexico. It his most fervent hope. Which means that we as readers should care about whether or not his dream is fulfilled.

I did not care.

There were bits and pieces I liked throughout, but the book as a whole did not hold my interest. I had to force myself to finish it. Krumgold won the Newbery twice, the second time for Onion John, which I remember loving as a child. In a few months, I'll find out just how reliable my childhood taste in books was.

Onto the next (The Wheel on the School).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read ... And Now Miguel.

02/11/2012 page 9
4.0% "That's the way it was with Gabriel. Everything that he wants he can get. With Pedro, it is the opposite. Everything that he has is enough. Both of them, they are happy. But to be in between... to be me, Miguel, and to have a great wish -- that is hard."
02/14/2012 page 44
18.0% "I feel like there was a war and I was a traitor, except that even a traitor goes around fooling people for some kind of reason. And here I was without any reason at all."
02/23/2012 page 125
51.0% "Half way through the book and I just don't care if miguel ever gets to the mountains."
02/27/2012 page 205
84.0% "A theology of saints in chapter 13. Didn't see that coming."