Cait's Reviews > Fires of the Faithful

Fires of the Faithful by Naomi Kritzer

Jul 19, 08

bookshelves: currently-unowned, yay-for-libraries, novel, queer, all-of-my-reviewed-books
Read in July, 2008

This book looked familiar at the library, but I think I might have picked it up, read a little, and stopped -- I'm not sure why I would have done that, since it's quite intriguing so far (perhaps it wasn't what I was looking for at the time?), but I definitely did remember the beginning and I definitely didn't remember the thing that happened just now at the end of part one! Hurray for finding it again, then....

And now, having finished it: I like this! And it has a sequel, which it clearly needs, so I will have to find that (I think I saw it on the shelf at the library).

It's an interesting opening to a series; things start out pretty straightforward fantasy, with a system of magic, a decadent government with a religious inquisition, and an old-time religion of which the first thing we learn is that it had rhythmic dancing music. And it is a pretty straightforward fantasy all the way through, with a war fought with magefire and energy generated by music -- but the old-time religion is a variation on Christianity (I have a feeling that if I knew more historical theology I'd recognize the doctrinal arguments going on) and the protagonist isn't an instant passionate convert. The author does seem a little confused about the place of women in this society, since both religions have female Gods and women have a lot more social and religious power, but a lot of civil leadership seems to be defaulting to men still. I was very pleased with the way the protagonist's sexuality was handled, though; I actually flipped to the back of the book to see whether it was going to be a bait-and-switch the way a lot of fantasy does, and (you may consider this a spoiler, but I think of it as a recommendation) it isn't: her crush on her roommate is not handwaved away.

An interesting start for this series!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fires of the Faithful.