Kate's Reviews > In the Garden of Beasts: Love, Terror, and an American Family in Hitler's Berlin

In the Garden of Beasts by Erik Larson

2056419
Feb 21, 12

bookshelves: 2012-books
Read from February 10 to 21, 2012

Read this for my one of my book groups and I really enjoyed learning about this period in history. ErIk Larson writes narrative nonfiction very well and tells the story of Ambassador Dodd and his daughter, Martha very clearly. It provides more background on the United States pre World War II and helps to answer the questions regarding Hitler's rise to power. A question later generations have had surrounds the reasoning behind no one stopping or corralling Hitler. Larson tries to explain the foreign policies of several European countries as well as the Isolationist policy that the US was pursuing at the time. This book is well worth reading, for the insight into the history of the period as well as a peak at how diplomats lived and did their jobs.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read In the Garden of Beasts.

message 1: by Sue (new)

Sue Jackson My husband just finished this. Said it was very good, though he liked The Devil in the White City a bit better. This is on my TBR shelf now!

Kate Am reading for one of my book groups and so far I like it. Only other one I read Larson's I have read is Thunderstruck and it was only okay.

message 3: by Sue (new)

Sue Jackson I have heard many people say that Thunderstruck wasn't as good as Devil in the White City, though I haven't read it myself.