Ensiform's Reviews > The Island of Dr. Moreau

The Island of Dr. Moreau by H.G. Wells

Feb 10, 12

bookshelves: fiction, saw-the-movie
Read in April, 2005

The narrator, Prensick, is the sole survivor of a shipwreck. He finds himself on the titular island, where the scandal-plagued exile Moreau is creating bizarre “people” from hybrid animals using “vivisection.” Soon, however, the dangers of playing God become all too apparent, as circumstances cause the Beast People to lose their reverence for the island’s only three humans.

This is an interesting book, and I’m glad to have finally read it after having seen three film adaptations (that, I see now, all took various liberties). The novel, while a successfully thrilling adventure story, is primarily a warning of the dangers of man’s scientific hubris. Its messages --- that we are all animals, and that our own instincts and baser natures may be insurmountable --- serve as a reminder even today (perhaps especially today, this age of genetic splicing and cloning) that we may have granted ourselves more power than we can as yet usefully wield.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Island of Dr. Moreau.