ElaineY's Reviews > Bare Facts

Bare Facts by Katherine Garbera

Jul 17, 08

bookshelves: romantic-suspense, mf
Read in January, 2008

The first two or three pages were promising but got bogged down by excessive introspection on the heroine's part. I generally like getting into the character's head but in Charity's case, it interfered with what was happening between her and Daniel so that Bare Facts became a rather uneven read for me.

The sense of real danger that surrounded Daniel never quite communicated itself to me, and I think it was a mistake for the author to allow her heroines to be tagged with the Charlie's Angels label. It detracted from the seriousness of the situation and prevented me from taking anything seriously. Hard to when Charity is described as supermodel beautiful with big breasts and the other two "angels" are equally sexy, if different in personality and skills. Sam, their boss, communicates with them through a one-way video conference. Naturally, he can see them but they can't see him. The emphasis seemed to be on building this image of the girls and the agency they work for such that it overshadowed the plot and the rest of the characters.

I never quite connected with the protagonists which resulted in my skipping the sex scenes to get to the action/suspense. A romantic suspense featuring the Yakuza ought to be a little grittier, IMO, but Bare Facts isn't very different from the superficial TV series that Charity, Justine and Ann (I think that's the 3rd girl's name) is likened to. In the end, this book just didn't pull me in and I couldn't help but feel that the old '70s TV series was a lot more entertaining.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bare Facts.