Leesa's Reviews > City of Masks

City of Masks by Daniel Hecht

Feb 16, 12

bookshelves: audiobook
Read from February 10 to 16, 2012

I really enjoyed this. Daniel Hecht wrote beautifully, and the narrator, Anna Fields, did a really great job. I got a real feel for New Orleans (one of my favorite settings) both physically and spiritually. I was engaged through the whole book and could barely stop myself from listening to take a break.

I'm not even sure how to classify this: mystery/thriller/suspense, or paranormal/urban fantasy? It was just this side of too normal to be full-blown urban fantasy, but it was definitely paranormal.

I thought it was a great device to have Cree take on the emotions (and accents/mannerisms) of the person she was working with. It was a smart way to add dimension and, yes, flaws to a character so she just couldn't breeze in, solve problems, and leave. Cree is flawed to begin with, and I liked that about her. She has her own issues to work through and it makes her very relatable to a flawed person like me. I look forward to seeing this character grow through the series.

I am very much looking forward to the second book, set in the Four Corners area of the American Southwest, another one of my favorite settings.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read City of Masks.

Comments (showing 1-1)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

Trisha I agree. Knowing New Orleans, he did such an amazing job of capturing the texture of the city and culture. I was sure he must have lived there. Now I am on book #2 and looking forward to it.