Mallory Heart Reviews's Reviews > Bargains and Betrayals

bookshelves: feb-2012-book-challenge
Recommended for: YA Paranormal, Werewolf, Suspense
Read on February 20, 2012, read count: 1

Book Three in the 13 to Life Series
Like Book Two, “Secrets and Shadows,” this novel seems to me to have more of an adult flair. No, there’s no outright intimacy going on, no foul language. But the revelation of the characters seem so much deeper, the problems so much more insurmountable, and the denouements so much more-present. This just doesn’t read to me like a YA novel. That said, again Ms. Delany demonstrates her skillful, capable, and fascinating writing talent; the characters are so well-rounded that sometimes I almost wanted to beg them to just be two-dimensional for a moment, because they were blinding me; and the plot-well, an incredibly imaginative and creative mind, never still, always searching for new twists and turns, was required to conceive and to write this series.

Jessie just keeps on keepin’ on, taking everything life throws at her (and I don’t think too many adults could have stood up to what she has faced, without losing their sanity), and not once does she give in nor lose her emotions for Pietr, the young shapeshifter for whom she has steadily fallen deeper and deeper in love. As a role model, she is solid, steady, and supportive, yet imaginative. I give her 1000% credit, if such were possible.
Readers who loved the first in the series, “13 to Life,” and Book Two, “Secrets and Shadows,” will not wish to miss this story, nor the next to come in the series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bargains and Betrayals.