Raquel's Reviews > The Heretics Daughter

The Heretics Daughter by Kathleen Kent

Feb 10, 12

Read in September, 2010

I just finished The Heretics Daughter which is historic fiction about the Salem Witch Trials. It was a really sad book and whenever I finish a sad book I never know if I liked it or not because I am just sad. I will say it was an enjoyable read and I felt that I learned a LOT about the trials. The book is from the perspective of a 9 year old girl whose mother is accused of being a witch. The mother asks the daughter to lie to the courts to save herself and the other children but by doing so condemns the mother and she is hung. The author is actually a descendant of the mother in the book and so many of the stories in the book are stories she heard from her family growing up. She did 5 years of research on the trials before writing the book so it was very detailed and interesting. It is hard to believe that people were so scared and blind to what happened and I can't imagine what some people went through for the lies told by others. It was really very interesting and I feel I learned a lot by reading it. I would recommend this book.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Heretics Daughter.