Alesha's Reviews > To Kill a Mockingbird

To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee

F_50x66
Feb 14, 12

Read from February 12 to 14, 2012

** spoiler alert ** I loved this book. It was very clever, well written, and made me think about issues – that is, it ticked all the boxes for me.

The book made me ponder an idea that has been going around for a while – evil happens when good people do nothing.

At the start of the book you consider everyone to be the same - they hold the same prejudices - except the Finch family. However, by the end of the book you realise that that may not be the case, and that there are people who do not agree withthe general treatment of coloured people in the South and do not think racisim is right. But they are content to let Atticus do something about it – they know he will try and do something about it – so they are not willing to stand up and do something about it themselves. They wanted to save face and not let others know their true feelings and opinions. They were not willing to risk disapproval from others.

In the converse, those that did hold prejudices were the same people appalled at the reports of Nazi treatment of Jews. But they were so narrow-minded that they could not see the similarities with their own way of thinking and with their own actions. In the end, were they any better?

The book was a beautiful insight into how to treat others, into putting yourself in somebody's position so as to better understand them and their prejudices, and that things are not always what they appear on the outside.

"Remember it is a sin to kill a mockingbird".