Margot's Reviews > The Paper Bag Princess 25th Anniversary Edition: The Story Behind the Story

The Paper Bag Princess 25th Anniversary Edition by Robert Munsch

Mar 20, 12

bookshelves: children-s, dragons, picture-books, 2012, feminism
Read on March 19, 2012

I found this book through feminist author Peggy Orenstein. The story follows a princess who's castle is burned down and fiance kidnapped by a dragon. Oh, and all her clothes are reduced to ashes in the dragon attack. So, clothed in a paperbag--the only thing she could find--she sets off to the dragon's lair to rescue her fiance.

This is, as you might guess, an amusing story and a nice change from the typical dragon/princess story where the helpless damsel gets rescued by the prince. I also enjoyed the personal stories of the author and the illustrator included in the 25th Anniversary Edition.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Paper Bag Princess 25th Anniversary Edition.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Stefan (new)

Stefan My daughter and I love this book.

Margot I read about it in this article by Peggy Orenstein, as I'm about to read her Cinderella Ate My Daughter: Dispatches from the Front Lines of the New Girlie-Girl Culture for a book group. The Paper Bag Princess sounds really great.