Danielle's Reviews > Fire Baptized

Fire Baptized by Kenya Wright

Apr 20, 12

bookshelves: scifi-fantasy
Read from March 28 to April 14, 2012

I won this book on Firstreads. The description seduced me into entering to win it, because I like the potential of Were-creatures (though I have a hang-up or two when it gets too deep into submission and dominance). And hell, I loved the movie Fire Starter, what can I say. :) Anyway, I'm not such a huge fan of faeries, in general, though, and I was a little worried when I started reading the book that it would get more into faeries than into Weres, but that fear eventually proved unfounded.

This book has several things stacked against it from my perspective (not liking faeries being one of those things) and yet... it was an easy read. All the things I consider "cons" are things that many readers will take as "pros" -- faeries, Young Adult genre, murder mystery, sexy friends who aren't so much friends...

The story is fast-paced, starting off with a bang and carrying on as a murder mystery of fantastical scope. It has great pacing, imagination and good characterization. The setting is interesting, if just a tiny bit hard to swallow: Were and Faeries locked behind walls in a city designed to cage them away from the humans. (Seems unlikely that it wouldn't be the other way around, considering the breadth of power depicted).

The physical book itself is nice: good quality paper, nice cover. Thank you for sharing this book with me, Ms. Wright or Ms. Wright's publisher!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fire Baptized.