Karen's Reviews > A Victorian Christmas

A Victorian Christmas by Edith Layton

Feb 13, 12

bookshelves: historical-romance
Read from February 10 to 13, 2012 — I own a copy, read count: 1

First of all, I don't know where the name Salvatore Raimondo comes from, I don't see it anywhere between the covers of this book. *shrug*

Now to the reviews. I liked the first story, "The Bird of Paradise". It was a sweet little story with humor coming in the form of a very large plucked turkey that gets dragged from pillar to post yet still remains fresh for Christmas dinner.

"Christmas Angel" was all right, though kind of depressing, what with the search for a lost boy.

Thumbs down on "Second Chance". This is NOT a Christmas story by any means, it just happens to take place during the holiday, with a scene that is practically X rated. (I'm used to Christian romance novels, so forgive me if I sound prudish) The "hero" was neither heroic nor likeable. Forcing himself on the heroine on the night before her wedding to another man with every intention of having sex with her does not make me believe that he loves her with all his heart and soul. Bleah, it was just awful.

I wanted to like "Kidnapped For Christmas" so much but again, a very inappropriate (and highly unbelievable) "romance" scene left me colder than a snowball. Are we really supposed to believe that the kidnapped girl's school administrator (who happens to be young and beautiful) with the Puritanical background was willing to give herself to her kidnapper after only two days with him? Give me a break. I liked the little girl and the Cockney kidnappers, they were the only saving graces to the story.

"The Black Beast of Belleterre" makes up for all the other disappointments listed above. If you only read one of the stories, let it be this one. Considering I only paid $0.20 for the whole book at a thrift store, I got more than my money's worth on this one.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Victorian Christmas.

Carol Storm I liked the KIDNAPPED story better than you do, but I definitely agree that "Black Beast" is a treasure.