Andy's Reviews > The Drop

The Drop by Michael Connelly

Feb 10, 12

bookshelves: 2012, kindle
Read from January 07 to 09, 2012, read count: 1

Another of my wife's holiday reads while travelling round India. I've never read any of this series before (and didn't even know for sure whether it was a series as I was reading) so came into it fairly fresh. Despite that it didn't seem to make much difference with understanding or enjoyment and I don't feel I really missed much.

It's not really my usual kind of book; it was an easy read, with somewhat clichéd dialogue, an annoying repetition of the phrase 'high jingo' and a generic 'hard boiled' feel that left me feeling a little underwhelmed. I think the biggest issue I had was that there was no work required with the plot or central mystery - everything was neatly and continuously explained as you went through so there was consequently very little surprise or suspense. The 'leak' was obvious and the main plot was rather mundane. The side plot seemed more interesting but got shelved for most of the book and then concluded almost as an afterthought - a plot that would have filled another book entirely in many crime series.

In terms of a police procedural, the recent Wallander book by Mankell I read was much more competent and interesting without needing to explain everything. Harry himself wasn't really unique enough to make me want to explore his character more and I wouldn't read any others in the series. Adequate holiday reading.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Drop.