Khy's Reviews > The Patron Saint of Butterflies

The Patron Saint of Butterflies by Cecilia Galante

Jul 17, 08

Agnes and Honey have always been best friends, but they haven’t always been so different. Agnes loves being a Believer. She knows the rules at the Mount Blessing religious commune are there to make her a better person. Honey hates Mount Blessing and the control Emmanuel, their leader, has over her life. The only bright spot is the butterfly garden she’s helping to build, and the journal of butterflies that she keeps. When Agnes’s grandmother makes an unexpected visit to the commune, she discovers a violent secret that the Believers are desperate to keep quiet. And when Agnes’s little brother is seriously injured and Emmanuel refuses to send him to a hospital, Nana Pete takes the three children and escapes the commune. Their journey begins an exploration of faith, friendship, religion and family for the two girls, as Agnes clings to her familiar faith while Honey desperately wants a new future.

---

I think I'll just get straight to the point for this review: I really liked this book. I didn't love it, but I didn't just like it. I liked it a lot.

My favorite thing about the book is that the POV alternated from Honey to Agnes. The girls are so different in their beliefs; Agnes is dedicated to trying to be a saint and has been brainwashed by Emmaunuel, the cult leader, while Honey thinks the teachings at the commune are stupid and ridiculous and that Emmaunel is insane. Agnes did not want to leave the commune for fear of what would happen when she got back, but Honey wanted nothing more than to get out. It was nice to see things from both their prospectives and see how all the events affected them and what they believed in.

My only complaint: I was still wondering what happened to the other Believers at the end. The book only told me what happened to Agnes, Honey, Benny (Agnes's brother), Agnes's parents, and a couple other people. I wanted more.

8/10!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Patron Saint of Butterflies.