Andreea Daia's Reviews > The Sartorialist

The Sartorialist by Scott Schuman

Feb 19, 2012

bookshelves: non-fiction, read-2012, photography
Read from February 15 to 19, 2012

4.5 stars. To me, this book is more about portrait photography and less about fashion. This is not to say that some of these people are not fashionable by any standard, old or new.

However, I think the photographer is looking for unusual (sometimes shocking) fashion choices, which I am not convinced are always deliberate. And there are of course shots which I would by no means consider chic: courageous yes... stylish no... (and I'm talking about the guys wearing "underwear" as pants and so on).

I would give this book a 5 star rating if it was advertized as portraiture. The working attires come to support my statement: there are some shots of painters going to work, which although wonderful pictures, tell very little about the person's fashion fingerprint. There is a lovely snapshot of some barbers from Milan (and an equally enchanting story); but obviously these folks are not trying to be fashionable - only to do their job.

In the end, I find this book a gentle nudge to discover one's personal fashion signature, outside his/her comfort zone.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sartorialist.