Amber Smoke's Reviews > My Soul to Steal

My Soul to Steal by Rachel Vincent

Feb 10, 2012

bookshelves: dat-cover, favourite-series, favourite-books, owned-books, original-yay, pretty-damn-good, paranormal-others, sky-high-expectations, young-adult
Read from January 06 to 12, 2015

My soul to steal is the fourth instalment in the soul screamers series that has captured me and wont let me go.

This book has a surprising amount of depth for a YA paranormal romance novel. The various character's predicaments and emotional troubles are well explored and anything but trivial, really setting this book's romance and character relationships aside from others in its genre.

Kaylee continues to grow and stand up for herself. A different, more vindictive side of her is shown but it works for me since she is such a strong character outside of her insecurities. Kaylee makes an effort to communicate and make sure her concerns are voiced. She has a tendency to hold a grudge but her courage and intelligence makes up for it. She is a very human character and has my support indefinitely.
Nash has improved, surprisingly. Even though I feel he shouldn't be forgiven so quickly, it is clear he has been humanized as well and realises and genuinely feels his mistakes. He is also fair and honest in this book to a certain extent and I respect him for that.
Sabine is a bitch and she knows it. She is manipulative and had me wondering if I should be on her side at certain points in the story. While she was unbearably selfish and hypocritical, I did find her to be a good antagonist with a back story I could understand and muster up some pity for.

I continue to enjoy the mini-storyline of each book and the overall story arch set up. Having a different mystery each book keeps things fresh and the development of the threat of Avari has me anxious about the last three books in the series.

The romance is great. It isn't exactly prevalent due to certain circumstances but the coupe in question actually communicated and got their feelings out there. Everything didn't just go back to normal; the romance and issues were treated as if they were being worked out in reality.

I don't really have much else to say apart from the fact that I love this series and where it's going. If you haven't picked it up then, first, I don't know why you're reading this ;) and two, the series just keeps getting better, so go get the first book if you need a light yet intelligently written book that has good old YA values with more mature messages and execution.

5 stars!!!!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Soul to Steal.

01/06/2015 marked as: currently-reading
01/06/2015 page 106
28.0% "This book is addictive to say the Ieast <3"
01/11/2015 page 246
65.0% "Things are scary O.o"
01/12/2015 marked as: read