Megan's Reviews > Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking

Quiet by Susan Cain

Feb 10, 2012

bookshelves: ajpl, 2012, adult, favorites, nonfiction, psychology
Read from February 10 to 17, 2012

I thought this was a very interesting, thought-provoking look at the differences between extroverts and introverts. As an introvert surrounded by extroverts (except for the coworker who showed me the article which prompted me to read this book), it was nice to get some validation for the things I feel; it was also interesting to read about what motivates and excites extroverts.

The "Communication Gap" chapter was the most interesting for me because it really helped highlight the different ways introverts communicate vs extroverts.

It almost lost a star for me in the Conclusion when the author suggests that an introvert could take up library science vs. being a news reporter (as well as some other career comparisons). I felt it undermined the entirety of the book which was pointing out how introverts and extroverts can work together and contribute to the workforce in different ways. Like any other career, library science can use both extroverts and introverts; librarians don't hide behind books all day, after all, and as an introvert I find working in a library mentally exhausting. (But fun.)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Quiet.

05/26/2016 marked as: read

Kelly That last bit is disappointing.

Megan Yeah, it's just one line at the very end, so while it's annoying it doesn't take up the whole book.

Did you see her speak, Caris?