rameau's Reviews > Secrets of an Accidental Duchess

Secrets of an Accidental Duchess by Jennifer Haymore

You can also read this on Anachronist's blog.

This is the first time I've heard of Jennifer Haymore, and had I known what to expect I most likely would have passed the opportunity to read her work. This isn't going to be a positive review.

The title is misleading. There really weren't that many secrets this accidental duchess had and the ones there were, were revealed quite quickly and without in a timely fashion. His secrets too.

There really should be a series warning for all unsuspecting readers. Not that I was one of them. I knew I was jumping in in the middle of a series, but that wasn't the problem. The problem was the extensive character gallery I was expected to familiarise myself with immediately. To this moment I wouldn't be able to name and place all the important side characters. I barely remember the main characters, but that has more to do with the poor characterisations or lack thereof. More about that later.

From the very start I realised that Haymore's writing style wasn't for me. I happen to think there's a difference between detailed and florid–one of which is good and the other one isn't–I thought she crossed that line, although, it did get slightly better when action overtook the moment.

Speaking of things that were better than expected, the sex scenes were a positive surprise. Despite the fact that the her happiness was dependent on his orgasm, there was nothing too awkward or unintentionally hilarious. I found these scenes quite titillating, which is a first in a professionally published work for a while.

Having said that, I still think there was more passion between Max and his rival Fenwicke than there ever was between Max and Olivia. That's because of the characterisations. Max and Olivia both felt so flat and uninteresting in comparison that over the top evil Fenwicke appeared to the only three dimensional character in the book. I could have handled the brutality and the abuse described, had it been properly addressed and not been reduced to a mere plot device. Fenwicke was nothing more than a ploy to create drama and angst where none was needed as the relationship between Max and Olivia had its existing inner tensions.

What's worse, neither Fenwicke or his victims were addressed with enough care or attention, but they were quickly dismissed as their part in the storyline expired.

I could dwell on the idiocy of the two main characters exhibited throughout and especially towards the end of this book, but suffice to say that there's a reason why I shelved this book under the too-stupid-to-live category. I'm not just talking about the contradiction between a gentleman willing to seduce a virgin but reluctant to fight dirty when being attacked by a mob, I'm talking about the lack of pure survival instinct. He'd rather beat up a man in his weakened state than run to save her life.

I'm aware that my generation nor that the one of my parents'–or their parents'–invented sex, but to read about sisters–one of which is an unmarried virgin–talk about contraception sounded too modern to fit the time to me. There was also another instance, when Olivia was asking Max to give her space, that felt out of place in this historical setting.

Also as detail orientated as the author is, I was surprised how easily Olivia could wolf down her meal despite the injury to her throat.

I received a copy of this book from the publisher through NetGalley.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Secrets of an Accidental Duchess.

02/10/2012
1.0% "He's being awfully observant for a man who pays no attention to gossip or fashion."
02/10/2012
7.0% "This is going to be a long series about sisters, isn't it. So many names, so many characters, I'm not sure I can keep up with them all."
02/11/2012
10.0% "Right now there's more passion between him and his rival than there is between him and her."
02/11/2012
27.0% "Domestic abuse and discussion about contraception. What's next?"
02/11/2012
36.0% "Yes, he gave her an orgasm, but she's happy because she pleased *him*. Anna mun kaikki kestää."
02/11/2012
42.0% "He couldn't bear to wake her, so he leaves a note anyone who walks in could read? A master of secrets."
02/11/2012
45.0% "Why do I feel like I'd rather read about their mother than about the sisters?"
02/12/2012
65.0% "Let this mark the moment when I went from vacillating between two and three stars to just pushing through, so I could justify my one star rant."
02/12/2012
67.0% "Why the hell aren't they getting out of there already?"
02/12/2012
68.0% "Please, burn the evidence, why don't you."
02/12/2012
71.0% "Remember when I said there's more passion between the hero and the villain than there is between the hero and the heroine? It's showing again."
02/12/2012
72.0% "And this is where they start sounding like modern characters in a historical setting."
92.0% "It ends here?"

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amber (new)

Amber LoL! God I love your description of Hayden's style of writing. You described her as "florid" - which is the perfect word to describe it. And her tendency to repeat the "devastating hopelessness" the situations (just in case you missed it in the tangle of details she already covered) made the story truly difficult to trudge through to the end.

I've only read the first book of this series... "Confessions of an Improper Bride" and was dumbfounded by all the rave reviews and high ratings.

I thought: "Perhaps, I'd been too cynical about her (Jennifer Hayden's) all too forgiving and meek doormat of a heroine throughout the entirety of her first novel. Maybe I should give her second novel a chance."

After reading your review of the second book and seeing a similar lack of strong interesting characters and plot development, I am glad I didn't waste my time.

:) So thanks for the warnings and the laughs when I read your reading progress chart.

Sincerely,
Amber

rameau You're welcome, and thank you for the compliments.