Ria's Reviews > Beneath a Darkening Moon

Beneath a Darkening Moon by Keri Arthur

Feb 11, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: psychics, pnr, werewolves, cops
Read on February 10, 2012

A mild improvement over its predecessor, Beneath A Darkening Moon was enjoyable, if a little forgettable. But before I continue with my review, allow me a brief rant:

With this book and Beneath A Rising Moon, Piatkus Books successfully conveyed a level of disregard for its readers that just made me sad:

- Exhibit A: the Ripple Creek Werewolf series follows IDENTICAL twin sisters Neva and Savannah Grant, both of whom have long golden blonde hair. This is quite important, plot-wise, as they are members of a strict pack of wolves, known for their golden hair. So, to clarify, both sisters = blonde. Now look at the cover. Spiky brunette bobs ain't sported by the sisters - Savannah wears a black wig at one point, but not for long. Cover art featuring characters who look nothing like they are described is the ultimate expression of disdain for your reader - it effectively says "The people who made this book couldn't be bothered to read it - why should you?"

- Exhibit B: some truly horrendous errors, none of which we can blame the author for. For example, in chapter one, a sentence is interrupted with a new paragraph that states "Keri Arthur" and then a new paragraph continues the original sentence. So many oddities - it's really jarring and demonstrates lazy production of books.

End of rant! The book itself was fine - I liked the relationship between Savannah and Cade much better than Neva and Duncan's affair, as there was no awkward "well I hate him and I told him no, but it's OK, he's sexy" justification. It was also nice to see two people with a past, and no tidy resolution to their original disagreement - they were both in the wrong and it takes them time to work out their issues.

All in all, Beneath a Darkening Moon was easy, breezy PNR, perfect for quick escapism.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Beneath a Darkening Moon.